Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The Nutty Professor

I've studied and worked under some of the most erudite professors in academics. Most of them being inspiring and influential.
But my experiences with Professor "Nutty" are the most unforgettable.
No doubt I've learned a lot from him. The way he talks, the way he carries himself, his self-confidence, his practical outlook, his optimism, his collectivist theories, his bottomlines ...
I guess, I'll run out of space.
Here are some "Gems of Wisdom" by the Professor
Myself : Sir, It seems this time almost half the class has enrolled for your subject ?
Sir(admittingly) :Yes Praabeer. Apparently they think I give good grades.
Myself(covering up): Probably they are interested in the subject as such Sir.
Sir(arms akimbo) : C'mon yaar Dont tell me I teach well.

Myself : Sir, somebody asked the salary figure "again" in the PPT.
Sir(disgusted): TELL THESE GUYS WE ARE NOT HERE TO CLEAN THEIR SH*T

Myself : Sir, this company is not giving the appointment letter and its been a long time.
Sir : Mr Praabeer, Mr Praabeer, Do u want me to force the HR to SH*T in his pants ?

Myself : Sir, Why cant we ask companies what salary will they be offering before giving them a date in the placements ?
Sir(smiling sheepishly): Excuse me for saying this, and there is a lady sitting here ... Mr Praabeer, You should NOT talk about spending night on your first Date !

A Student : Sir, My Company is going to be taken over by some other company. This is making me unsure about the eventual conversion of internship to job.
Sir : My Dear Student, You cannot stop driving if there are accidents on the ROAD !!

Myself : Sir, some people are down because they could not make it in the interview
Sir(with a smirk which almost touched his left ear) :
Listen guys, Today, is the first day, of the rest of your life. Thats all I want to tell all of you.

Myself: Sir, Some people have issues with their remuneration.
Sir : Mr Praabeer, Mr Praabeer, Are you telling me, Are you telling me, that I should talk to each individual company and ask them to raise the salaries ? Let me tell you I'm like a priest, I'm like a priest. My job is to bring the spouse together, the terms and conditions they shud decide between themselves.

Sir(looking at me from the edge of his eye):
Mr Praabeer, It seems some of your batchmates have switched jobs ?
Myself : Yes Sir. They were getting good offers so they went for it.
Sir(sighs) : You guys behave like prostitutes. Paanch rupiya zyada diya to usko chhor ke tere saath chaloongi.

Sir (shouting in fury) : Prabeer, This guys needed a provisional degree certificate for company formalities.He calls me at 9pm in the night and asks me when can I give him the provisional degree ? You tell me AM I A PIMP ? AM I AA PEEEMP ?

Anthro : Sir, This company was expected to pay much more than what they're paying now. What happend ?
Sir : Man they were ready to pay much more. I made them reduce it.
Anthro : Why Sir ?
Sir : Yaar Koi aadmi mercedes main baith ke tumhare ghar aaye fir tumko impress karke tumhari ladki se shaadi kar le. Fir tumhari ladki ko pregnant karke chala jaye to tum kya karoge ? -- Contributed by Anthro
To Quote Unqote "Cut the long story short", I learned all the "DONT'S" !

16 Comments:

At Tue Sep 14, 10:19:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Ambar said...

ROTFL Praveer!! I'm dying to mail this to the faculty mailing list :D

 
At Wed Sep 15, 08:43:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Ananth Narayan said...

You learnt the "DONTS" and I think u learnt it the hard way too.

 
At Thu Sep 16, 11:57:00 AM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praveer...
ROTFL!!! that was absolutely hilarious!
the better parts were during his elective lectures, when he would be desperately trying to complete a derivation on the board... literally breaking his head, having the result written down on paper, but not knowing how to derive it... Man, that was quite some sight!!

 
At Thu Sep 16, 03:41:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Praveer said...

Hey Anon,
I wanted to another post on his ways of teaching. Alas I'm not able to recall anything specific.
But he really revolutionised the examination pattern. I remember in somebody's end term presentation he listened quitely through the entire thing for almost one-and-a-half hour and when after the presentation they asked sir any questions ? He referred to the notes he was apparently making and said:
"Yes just one :"
"Go back to slide no 15...."
"There is a spelling mistake there !!!"

 
At Thu Sep 16, 06:30:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger NS said...

Yeah praveer,
The exam revolution was one of its kind... Kudos to the only "prof" who lets you write an exam with even Google open... and I can never forget my presentation on some vague stuff(PGP), for which I did not even know the full form till the eve of the "exam"... and yet managed to get thru with an "A"!!!

And then the lecture sessions that involved some number theory stuff... After desperately trying to prove something, and failing miserably even with a paper in hand, he wud cover up saying "Even Prof. Bhatt teaches only with a paper"... ha ha ha... thank God, Bhatt sir wasn't in the class!

I am sure Sundar would empathise, for we guys took up the elective only bcoz he said he wud do something on number theory... and phew, no numbers, only some theory!! Looks like this would turn into a blog itself, so I stop here!

Nithya

 
At Fri Sep 17, 12:56:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Praveer said...

Nithya,
I think the "funniest" part was making sense out of that non-sense in the auspicious company of Sundar.
Whenever he faltered, that was our starting point. Then we used to scribble on ICICI ATM slips with borrowed pens trying to complete his half hearted derivations.
Then Sundar used to take charge, come to the board and do some Just In Time Mathematics. With some correction here and some suggestion there coming from all sides of the sparsely populated classroom.
We almost developed most of the algorithms from scratch ;-)

Lets not call it Number Theory Yaar, It was a Dumber Story !

 
At Fri Sep 17, 01:01:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Sundar said...

ROTFL. On one exam, I had to write about some security architecture in a mobile environment or some such thing and that being a open 'everything' exam, I was swamped by Megabytes of pdf documents. I finally chose one (closest to random I could ever get!) and finished copying the picture of what looked like a security architecture. After merrily copying most of what I wanted to, I smelt something fishy and did a CTRL+F to see the occurence of the word security in the doc and to my horror found, there was only one match all through the doc in some small block diagram! Fortunately, I didn't get an A ;)

 
At Fri Sep 17, 04:19:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger NS said...

ROTFL Sundar!!!
One more thing that was vintage "nutty prof" was the way he used to teach some XYZ algorithm, and then make a claim "This is a very complex algo, no one can break into it, AM I CORRECT Vikas"!!???

And then Vikas immediately snaps, "No Sir, it is a stupid algo that was broken so many yrs back"...

And then "nutty" doesn't know what to say... He diverts the topic to something else!! ha ha ha...

Nithya

 
At Fri Sep 17, 05:21:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Sundar said...

Yeah, I remember that Nithya.

May be we should compile our experiences into an e-booklet for posterity ;)

 
At Sun Sep 19, 03:13:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger sandeep said...

"However", you forgot one little thing.....

 
At Sun Sep 19, 03:16:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger sandeep said...

Me: Sir, i have a doubt
Him: What is it ?
Me: Blah Blah Blah
Him: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Sir, but this is not what i was asking
Him: Blah Blah Blah
Me(Exasperted): Ok Sir, I got your point
Him(After the class): You, if you have a "Technical" doubt(it was human sciences class!!),come and ask me sepertely

 
At Mon Sep 20, 02:25:00 PM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read all ur writings today after much hype created,so will give a consolidated comment on those i liked: Prof.Srinath : Blind Fan Following, you are a small part of it,i think if each one of us writes just a single instance about the way he has influenced us,your blog will overflow with comments.Nutty Prof.or Prof.Nutty--Is it Oxymoron?Forget it.Vim,:Whats that? Out of class KSM ;-),Gurlz: Quite Pejorative!imagine how none of gals responded,on second thoughts:is it possible some girl daring to respond on your blog.I think you feel gals lack practicality,is that what you are searching for in your gal ;-) .Even i was initially of same view yaar.But at times they are more practical than us its just our male ego doesn't allows us to look at them that way.Look at recent post by some beautiful mind (link got from blog of you guys) or may be you have seen before me;-),will give you new perspective on relationships.is that fellow writing more vividly than from all our kindred souls?Poem with a Loop of Ifs: I imagine what u have done for the article,probably searching :-)?Never mind, i enjoyed the depth of the poem.Puzzles : Not my cup of tea :-D.Seriously,Amusingly,seriously or funny,whatever :Creative piece shows ur thinking for collection of thoughts.To cut the long story short,quote unquote,"you need a little bit more originality,variety & creativity,else gr8".Reading this blog business spoiled my hours,I better be away & get back to work.

 
At Mon Sep 20, 11:46:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Ambar said...

Sanjeeth, Anthro, Praveer..guys..something serious seems to be cooking here!

 
At Thu Sep 23, 08:46:00 PM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is what our nutty proffy had to say

He said" WHat ur company did to u is like getting engaged to a girl, promising her to marry and sleeping with her. after enjoying with u for some time, they say they are not interested. What do they think abt u? students or prostitutes?"

What he was trying to communicate was somewhat true...but the example he used was quote unquote ~!@#$%^&*(

 
At Sun Oct 03, 11:29:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger mandelia said...

That was really entertaining.. can we have more such experiences.

 
At Mon Oct 04, 01:03:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Praveer said...

Mandelia, If u want to have more such experiences first hand, enroll for all his courses. Better still do a research project under him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home