Monday, October 11, 2004

A Combinatorial Explosion Puzzle ...

This problem (again) came thru roomie. It took some unsuccessful scramblings on paper & I succumbed to the desire of solving it empirically i.e. by making a C - program. Apart from proving how stupid I am, the program did give some insights but NO SOLUTION AS YET :(

Right now I'm thinking about some more/better set of constraints for the program or preferrably a theoretical solution.

The problem `looks` "interestingly simple"; want to put here while its still fresh in my head...

There are two positive integers x & y (both greater than 1).
And there are two guys A & B.
A knows the sum of x & y and B knows their product.

They have this conversation ...
A says "You dont know the numbers"
B says "Now I know the numbers"
A replies "Now I also know the numbers"

Find x & y.

3 Comments:

At Wed Oct 13, 05:54:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Praveer said...

Solved it finally. I had a small bug in my program.
I'm not posting the answer as of now, just some clues...

1. A & B dont know the answer before they start talking.
2. Only one answer for Sum < 50 & exactly 3 answers for Sum < 100
3. It uses Goldbach's Conjecture.

And ...Each of the three statements translates into a valid mathematical constraint.

 
At Sun Nov 14, 05:43:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Whoosh 2 said...

SPOILER: [ROT 13: www.rot13.com]

Gur ahzoref ner guvegrra naq sbhe. Vg purpxf bhg. Pbeerpg an?

 
At Tue Nov 16, 09:32:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Praveer said...

Thats Correct Vikram :-). Bingo !
However I think u must be knowing there are more than one answers...
btw ... Did u make a C program ?
Probably u may give an brief explaination also :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home